Medical malpractice is a grave issue that affects countless individuals across Georgia and the nation. If you or a loved one has suffered harm due to a medical professional’s negligence or incompetence, you need the powerful representation Gautreaux Law provides.
With years of experience in personal injury law, we understand the complexities of medical malpractice and the challenges of taking on the medical establishment. When you partner with us, you can expect to receive trustworthy advice, objective insights, and emotional support. Let us fight for the compensation you need and deserve. Call today to get started with an experienced medical malpractice lawyer.
What Is Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice refers to a healthcare provider’s failure to meet the standard of care expected in their field. It occurs when a medical professional’s actions or inactions result in harm or injury to a patient. This breach of the standard of care can take many forms, including misdiagnosis, surgical errors, and medication errors.
Medical malpractice can have severe consequences, not only for the patient but also for the healthcare practitioner involved. Legally, it is a breach of the duty of care owed by healthcare providers to their patients.
Elements of a Medical Malpractice Case
To have a viable medical malpractice claim, you generally must prove the following elements:
- Duty of care – The healthcare provider owes you (the patient) a duty of care.
- Breach of standard of care – The healthcare provider breached the standard of care expected in their field.
- Causation – There is a link between that breach and your injuries.
- Damages – Your injuries resulted in damages, such as medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
These cases are a type of personal injury but are not like ordinary car wreck cases. For example, a huge difference between ordinary personal injury cases and medical malpractice cases is that an expert must support a medical malpractice case, and an expert statement (what we call an affidavit) is normally required to be included in medical malpractice lawsuits. It takes a skilled Georgia medical malpractice lawyer to prove the elements of negligence, hold the responsible party accountable, and get you just compensation.
Common Types of Medical Malpractice
Medical malpractice can manifest in several ways:
- Misdiagnosis – A healthcare provider failing to diagnose a medical condition correctly, leading to delayed or improper treatment. For instance, a patient’s cancer goes undetected due to a misread test result, resulting in a delayed diagnosis and more advanced disease.
- Surgical errors – Mistakes can occur during surgery, such as operating on the wrong body part or leaving surgical instruments inside the patient. For example, a surgeon accidentally removes the wrong kidney during a scheduled procedure.
- Medication errors – This involves administering the wrong medication or incorrect dosage to a patient. For instance, a nurse gives medication that a patient is allergic to, causing a severe adverse reaction.
- Anesthesia errors – A patient is given too much or too little anesthesia during a medical procedure, resulting in complications and/or avoidable pain
- Birth injuries – Injuries can occur to a newborn or mother during childbirth due to medical negligence. For example, the improper use of forceps during delivery may result in nerve damage to the baby’s face.
These are just a few examples of the many forms medical malpractice can take. No matter how it occurs, negligent healthcare providers must be held accountable for causing harm to patients.
How Our Firm Can Help
At Gautreaux Law, our team of experienced attorneys specializes in handling complex medical malpractice cases. We have a proven track record of advocating for our clients and securing the compensation they deserve.
Our approach is centered on a thorough investigation. We meticulously investigate every aspect of your case to gather evidence and build a strong legal strategy. Our firm collaborates with respected medical experts who provide crucial insights and expert opinions to support your claim.
Whether through negotiation or litigation, we will tirelessly pursue the best possible outcome for you. In successful medical malpractice cases, compensation may cover:
- Medical expenses – reimbursement for current and future medical bills related to the malpractice.
- Lost income – compensation for income lost due to the injuries caused by medical negligence.
- Pain and suffering – damages for the physical and emotional pain endured as a result of the malpractice.
In cases of extreme negligence, punitive damages may be awarded to punish the responsible party. If you have lost a loved one due to a medical practitioner’s negligence, we can help you file a wrongful death lawsuit based on medical malpractice to obtain compensation for final medical expenses and other losses. Regardless of your circumstances, we will stand by you every step of the way, fighting to protect your rights, well-being, and future.
Contact Our Experienced Georgia Medical Malpractice Attorney
Medical malpractice is a serious issue that can have life-altering consequences for victims. If you or a loved one has suffered due to medical negligence, Gautreaux Law will make your case our case and fight for the compensation you deserve. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and take the first step towards justice and peace of mind.