When managing Uber claims in Georgia following an accident, it is important to understand the specific procedures and legal considerations that are involved. Georgia’s laws and Uber’s company policies play a crucial role in how these claims are processed.
If you have been in an accident involving an Uber while in Georgia, you should take certain steps, even if you believe you did not suffer any injuries. This is the case whether you are an Uber passenger, driver, or a third party involved in the incident. It is possible that you might not feel any of the effects of the accident until a few days later. You may be eligible for compensation through the claims process. The appropriate steps to take are as follows:
- Report the Accident: Once you call 911, a reporting officer should come to the scene of the accident and write up the report. This report will include the names and contact information of everyone involved in the accident, along with the officer’s opinion concerning how the accident occurred and who caused it. The accident report will become public record within a few days, and you can request it online. This can serve as evidence that the driver or rideshare company you are suing was at fault for the accident. You are generally legally obligated to report accidents in Georgia that involve injuries or fatalities, or property damage over $500.
- Seek Medical Attention: Your health and safety should be your top priority. If you have any injuries, make sure you go to a doctor, clinic, or emergency room. This is advisable to make sure you are receiving the proper treatment but also because it creates a record of your injuries.
- Gather Information: It is important to document the date, time, and location of the incident, the Uber driver’s name and contact information, and any details from witnesses. Take photos of the accident scene as well if you can do so.
- Report the incident to Uber: Report the accident to Uber as soon as possible. You can do this through the Uber app or by contacting their customer support. You can do this by selecting the Safety Toolkit, which is accessed by tapping the blue shield symbol in the bottom left corner of the map. Then, tap “Report a crash” and follow the instructions to submit your claim. Alternatively, for additional support, you can select “Safety” from the “Help” section of your app.
- Filling out a Crash Report: Upon contacting Uber, you will be prompted to fill out a Crash Report form. Once this form is received, Uber will notify the appropriate insurance carriers of the incident. The insurance carriers will then investigate the claim and should contact you by phone within 2-3 business days.
- Uber’s Insurance Coverage as Well as Personal Insurance Considerations: Uber may provide liability insurance coverage for its drivers, which typically covers injuries sustained by passengers during a ride. Once you report the incident to Uber, their insurance provider will start the claims process. While Uber generally maintains commercial auto insurance on your behalf while operating on the Uber App, it is recommended that you locate your personal auto insurance declarations page, as your personal auto insurance coverages may be relevant in the handling of the claim.
- File a Claim: You can file a claim using a simple online claims form located on the Uber app. After you submit your claim, you will receive a confirmation email with your claim number, the claim adjuster’s contact information, and a list of additional documents you may need to process your claim.
- Keep track of your costs: Make sure you have a record of all of your medical expenses and any other expenses related to the accident. Also, document any loss of or reduced income stemming from the accident.
- Negotiations and settlement: Refuse premature settlement offers. Do not accept any settlement offers before you have a grasp of all the injuries and losses you have sustained from the accident. You might believe you suffered minimal injuries and accept an offer, only to discover later that your injuries were much more serious than you originally anticipated.
- Contact an attorney: Consider consulting with a personal injury attorney who is experienced in rideshare accidents. They can guide you through the legal process and help you deal with Uber, as well as the insurance companies. Your attorney will work with the insurance company to negotiate a fair settlement. They will assess your injuries and expenses that you incurred throughout the process to determine an appropriate compensation amount. If negotiations do not lead to a satisfactory settlement, an experienced attorney may advise you to file a lawsuit against the party responsible for the accident.
This information provides a general overview of the claims process in Georgia if you have been injured in an Uber. The experienced attorneys at Gautreaux Law can help those who have been injured in Uber and other rideshare accidents. Our firm can provide guidance, assess the strength of your case, and help navigate the legal process to pursue the appropriate remedies for you.