Calling to see if you have a case will cost you nothing. Whether it’s a phone consultation or an in-person consultation, we won’t charge you. Our consultations are always free.
What to Expect When You Call an Injury Lawyer
Your initial consultation will typically be done over the phone by a paralegal or intake specialist. They will gather information about your injury and ask a few questions, such as:
- How were you injured?
- Where did your injury occur (state, city, street)?
- On what date did the injury occur?
Sometimes, those three simple questions are enough to determine if an injury attorney can help you with your case or not. For example, if the injury happened in a state where the lawyer isn’t licensed to practice, then he/she can quickly let you know they can’t help, but they may be able to refer you to someone who can. If the injury happened too long ago, then the statute of limitations, the timeframe allowed to file a claim, may have passed and they may not be able to help.
If the lawyer thinks he/she may be able to help then they’ll probably ask you a few more questions, depending on the type of case you have. For example,
- If you were injured in an auto accident, they may ask for a copy of the police wreck report (or get the information needed for them to obtain a copy) and any pictures you took or witnesses you spoke to.
- If you were injured due to medical negligence, they may ask for the doctor’s name or the facility where any medical procedures were done.
- If it’s a slip and fall, they may ask you about the weather conditions or any warnings posted.
All of this is completed in the initial phone conversation, which typically lasts between 5-15 minutes.
If the attorney says they can help you with your case and you want to hire them, then one of two things will happen:
- You’ll meet in person to give them more detailed information about your injury and treatment, and to sign some paperwork, or
- If you prefer, you can give the rest of your information over the phone and sign documents via a secure email (this has become quite popular since Covid forced so many things online).
Hiring an attorney for your injury case will get you far more money than you would have gotten if you tried to handle the case yourself. If you’ve been injured then contact Gautreaux Law to speak to a lawyer – the consultation is fast, free, and you have nothing to lose for doing so. 888-876-6935 (toll-free) or 478-238-9758 (local)